This was our first attempt at making a heart shaped caked (so don’t laugh)! The cake is two layers tall and we put the cream cheese frosting in-between the two layers. We also made cupcakes (which were much easier to make).
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter (tub not stick), softened
- 1/4 cup organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, stirred
- 2-4 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place cupcake tins in tray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk and vinegar. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add in sugar, oil, and vanilla extract, and whisk together until mixture becomes frothy.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, baking powder, and baking powder. Add salt and then add dry mixture to the bowl of wet ingredients. Whisk together until flour mixture disappears.
- Divide the batter evenly into cupcake tins. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for at let 15 minutes before icing.
- Beat together, vegan butter with shortening for 1 minute in a large bowl using a standing mixer or hand mixer.
- Add sifted powdered sugar and all wet ingredients. Beat for additional 2 minutes.
- Add red food coloring if desired.